Apilio provides a virtual controller for smarter home automation for enthusiasts and small businesses (users say thinks like “Woho! Love it!” about our service). With over three years’ operation our version 1 product is already live and providing reliable service to over 20,000 accounts and 2,500 active users around the world. Whilst Apilio started life as a side project, it’s now fully funded to grow the team and build the business.
Apilio is a small operation today but it’s experienced, with a track record of commercial success; this is a chance to get in at the ground level of an exceptional opportunity.
We are looking for a Front-End Web Developer who is motivated to become a key team member, interested in helping across the company. You would soon become responsible for the implementation of our customer facing front ends: the web and mobile application, the website, the community page – just to name a few.
Responsibilities will include translation of the UI/UX design wireframes into code to produce the web and mobile application with which our users configure Apilio. You will work with the UI/UX designer to bridge the gap between visual design and technical implementation, taking an active role on both sides and defining how the application looks as well as how it works.
If you are interested and talented in other areas then please let us know, we would be more than happy if you grow as Apilio grows.
- Reporting to the CEO on progress, ideas and issues
- Working Time: 40 hours per week worked Monday to Friday between the core hours of 10:00-16:00
- Location: Working at least 3 days in our office close to Winterthur main station. For the rest, you are free to choose your location.
- Travel: Likely to involve some international travel for meetings
- Work permit: Must be in possession of a Swiss work permit
Your will start with the task of re-building the front-end part of our application apilio.herokuapp.com from the ground up:
- Build a new front-end application with React (or a similar JS framework)
- Coordinate or implement changes in the back-end Ruby on Rails application to support the front-end application
- The application needs to become more intuitive, user friendly and visually appealing – so your creative inputs, ideas and guidance are crucial
Furthermore, some of the tasks you can work on later:
- Implement or coordinate the implementation of a mobile app
- Review and improve the customer experience across all our outfacing touchpoints
- Support the implementation of our sales and marketing strategy
And as to the future? Well, we’re expecting you to grow with us to become a team leader, responsible for all our customer facing frontends, from application to website and including mobile apps.
Skills we are looking for
- Demonstrable interest and experience in good UX design and performance
- Experience or interest in doing code changes in Ruby on Rails
- Demonstrable ability to troubleshoot across different systems
- Willingness to write and share clear, succinct and accurate documentation in our wiki whilst also able to interpret those produced by others
- Enthusiasm and proactivity to understand the technologies and learn the capabilities of Apilio software, helping to further grow and develop the business
- Able to work at a fast pace with a small, but disciplined, team, making the most of automated testing to achieve high quality of software and service delivery
- High level of competence in written and spoken English
Good to have
- Experience with automated testing
- Experience with a Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment development process
- Experience with DevOps: CI/CD setup, application monitoring and scripted infrastructure setup
- Additional language skills would be excellent
Things that will help you on the way
- Able to identify and prioritise core tasks and then concentrate on them
- Able to research to find lean and efficient work solutions
- Being self-disciplined and reliable, trustable to work remotely and unsupervised
- Being a clear and confident communicator, able to interact effectively with a distributed team of professionals
- Managing own workload, delivering against agreed deadlines
- Having a High-Quality, High-Security attitude
- Being a Smart Home enthusiast: interested in becoming an acknowledged domain expert in the functionality of Apilio software applications
- Being customer oriented and service minded: some out-of-hours on-call duties may be required from time-to-time to support team vacations and the like
What Will You Get out of Working with Us?
- Helping to shape the culture, technology and future of an early stage start-up
- Being a big part of a small (but experienced) team with our ambitions built around a healthy life-work balance
- Working in a challenging-but-relaxed, serious-but-fun atmosphere
- Sharing your ideas to show us how best to work with the frameworks and tools you love
- A good salary with the chance to own equity in the future as Apilio grows
- Flexible working hours and 30 days of vacation
- Some international travel for meetings, shows and business development